Policy and Institutional Review
The Policy and Institutional Review (PIR) sets the foundation for this research, by examining the policies and institutions that provide the current context for conservation funding in Ireland. The PIR examines the rationale for this funding, the sustainability of the funding streams, the degree to which spending is consistent with the objectives of the National Biodiversity Action Plan and existing and potential synergies.
5 key steps of Ireland’s PIR
1. Identify data sources, consultees and sources of information
2. Review Ireland’s strategy for biodiversity conservation
3. Identify the drivers of biodiversity loss in Ireland
4. Review existing financial mechanisms supporting biodiversity
5. Analyse the capacity of institutions involved.
For a sample of an existing PIR, see the following link to Thailand’s PIR process, completed in 2018.